Monday, April 29, 2013

Pineapple Wine


My husband loves pineapple. We both love wine, particularly my homemade wine. A pineapple wine was inevitable. I must admit, this wine isn't on my top five list of favorite wines. Granted, it is still wine and still very enjoyable. That my friends is the VERY important part. The problem? It's not as pineapple-y as I thought it would be. I have a hunch that has a lot to do with the tannin that I added. You can choose to leave this ingredient out if you like, as I will the next time I make this. Practice makes perfect!
.
Pineapple Wine


makes just under 5 gallons


18 (12oz) cans frozen pineapple concentrate, thawed
10 c. White Granulated Sugar
3 tsp. Acid Blend
3 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
1 1/2 tsp. Tannin
6 Campden Tablets, crushed
1 pkg Wine Yeast


Mix all ingredients EXCEPT wine yeast in primary fermentor. Specific gravity should be between 1.092-1.099, if below add sugar as necessary. Cover primary. After 24 hours, add yeast. Cover primary and attach airlock.
When ferment is complete (specific gravity has dropped to 1.000 - about 3 weeks) siphon into clean secondary. To aid clearing, siphon every two weeks for the next two months or until wine is clear. Bottle. Can be enjoyed immediately or aged to mellow.

Formula for wine alcohol percentage:
(Starting SG - Ending SG)/0.8 = Alcohol Percentage!


*If preferred slightly sweetened, add 1/2 tsp. Stabilizer per gallon, followed by 1/2 c. sugar per gallon.


No comments:

Post a Comment