Monday, April 29, 2013

Antique Garden Signs & Spoiled Dogs

Winter makes me absolutely stir-crazy. I get cabin fever like no one I've ever encountered. Plants, leaves, flowers, wild bird chirps (we get quite enough tame bird chirping from our parakeets), lightening bugs, gardening, etc. are what I live for. This past winter I passed the time planning what would be in store for the backyard this spring, summer, and fall. I planned the strawberry patch, herb garden, sunflower garden, vegetable garden.... I think you get my drift. Between studying seed catalogs, and using virtual garden planners (I highly recommend Grow Veg by the way), I made little antique-ish garden signs for three of the gardens.

Our dogs are our world; we absolutely adore them. From the tips of their little wet noses, which I if I get close enough are sure to accompany lots of kisses, all the way to their furry tails that wag with such excitement at the sound of my voice. So of course they need garden signs! They need everything their little hearts desire (and obviously some things they don't really care about, like garden signs). You guessed it, they're incredibly spoiled. 


Russell, our Chihuahua, LOVES strawberries. Strawberries make him go, what we call 'Chi-Crazy'. That love is followed closely by his love of corn anything - kernel, cob,  husk, stalk... even the root. Everything. Also ice cream, but what dog DOESN'T love ice cream? Actually, Russell is the reason I decided to plant a strawberry patch in the first place, so that he could have fresh strawberries whenever the fancy strikes him. Easy choice, Russell shall claim the strawberry patch!


Luna, believe it or not, thoroughly enjoys weeding the garden in the warmer months. She trods through, chomping on weeds, eating some, pulling some out and dropping them. It's quite a sight to behold. She also really enjoys green beans, sugar snap peas, carrots, and cabbage. I declare Luna shall reign over the vegetable garden!


Chester is the youngest and least set in his ways. While he doesn't have a particular passion for sunflowers, he just doesn't seem like an herb garden kind of guy. Herbs are much too serious. Sunflowers it is! Also, knowing him and knowing how carefree he is, I think he an the sunflowers will get along just fine. For some reason, small dogs seem to really enjoy taking on large things so I'm really hoping to see him attempt to take down a 12 foot sunflower or two. He's a Chihuahua/Dachsund mix, I'm pretty sure both of those breeds would attack a lion if they ever got the chance. Such mighty little warriors!


Supplies Needed
Piece of Wood
Acrylic Paint (Indoor or Outdoor)
Brushes
Small Sanding Block
Wax


I happened to have three 'wooden' craft plaques taking up space in our spare room. I sanded them enough to smooth out the previous paint. Unfortunately the only craft paint I had was indoor acrylic paint. Hmmm, didn't want to go to all that work to have the color fade in the sun, or worse - wash away in the rain! A light bulb went off in my head, I have a ton of spray on clear coating. Being bored and itching to do something crafty, I decided to risk it.

First things first, if you want to give any sign a worn feel, there must be 'older' paint showing through underneath. Even though the plaques already had old paint underneath them, it would take a few years to start showing through. No thanks. So grab a dark color (I chose black) and paint around the edge of the wood. I go about 1/2 inch into the part I'm going to get artistic on and all around the sides. Let dry. Using wax (I actually used a Scentsy cube because it was handy, but a candle, or actual beeswax will do) and mark where you want paint to come through. I marked all around the edge and into the sign portion - get messy with it but remember whatever you put wax on, the next layer of paint will not stick to. 

Now, put on a few layers of whatever base paint you choose. I used Plaid Apple Barrel's Light Ivy Green. Let dry, then start sanding! Make sure to get wherever you spread the wax, and even sand some of the base paint if you like. 

I'm a big fan of free hand painting because, well, I don't play by the rules! But seriously, I'm just too lazy to use a stencil or print anything out and mess with modge podge. I use a trusty ole' pencil and an eraser to draw out what I'm going to paint. It takes some practice getting everything centered, but it works for me. After you've drawn everything on, get to painting! Be creative, mix colors, use different brushes. I got frisky and used the fancy fanned brush for the carrot tops and I must admit, they turned out great!

Once dry, use a clear, protective SPRAY paint to add several layers to the front, back and sides. I sprayed on about three layers just to be safe. I don't advise using a clear coat that you have to brush on, as it may smear the indoor acrylic paint.

Attach to a garden stake and proudly display your work of art in your (or your dogs) garden! Luna let's Chester slide because he can't read yet. Oh, to be a young pup in a garden on a sunny day.


No comments:

Post a Comment