Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent

This is the BEST laundry detergent you will ever use... but that's just my opinion. It is however, the best laundry detergent I've ever used, and that's a fact. This magic detergent gets out stains, makes colors brighter, towels fluffier, it will save you money, and it lasts forever. It smells wonderful, too! Credit where credit is due - this is not my recipe, I found it here


Supplies Needed:
1 (4 lb 12 oz) Box of Borax
1 (3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 (3 lb) Container of OxyClean
2 (14.1 oz) Bars of Zote Soap - you can also use the ounce equivalent of Fells Naptha or even bars of Ivory Soap (which is what I used because I couldn't find the previous two types of soap)
1 (4 lb) Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
1-2 (55 oz) Bottle of Purex Crystals Scent Enhancer- or use 3-4 bottles of Scentsy Washer Whiffs

If you use Felz Naptha, or Zote, it will need to be hand grated. If you decide to go the Ivory route (which is easier but doesn't necessarily clean as well as the others), the bars can be microwaved one at a time for about a minute. They will expand and look similar to a large puffy cloud! Allow the soap to cool for a minute or so, and crumble it into a powder.
Now dump all ingredients into a large bucket. For ease of mixing purposes I recommend layering the ingredients. While mixing, the chemicals get stirred up into the air so I also recommend covering your face during or holding your breath. 
As you can see you have quite a hefty amount of laundry detergent. The best part is, you only need 2 Tablespoons per load of laundry. I use three if it's in really bad shape. If you used the Purex Crystals, you can store some of the laundry detergent in the bottle for convenient usage, and the cap has a line that is equivalent to about 2 Tablespoons! How handy is that? 

This detergent doesn't suds up, but it gets clothes cleaner than any store-bought suds producing detergent I've ever used. Also just to give you an idea of how long it lasts, I made this detergent roughly five months ago, and with using only this and washing at least one load a day between my husband and I, there is still half left. It just might be magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment