Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Blackberry Basil Jam

My goal in picking nine pounds of blackberries of course was jam, but I knew I wouldn't want to make three batches of standard blackberry jam. Don't get me wrong, blackberry jam is divine and it seems to be a favorite of everyone I know - my dad could eat a whole jar in one sitting. I like to experiment with food, and blackberry would be good with just about anything. I checked my favorite blog to see if the author had a creative blackberry jam recipe I could try. This woman never lets me down. She's my hero; I hope to be like her someday.



Blackberry Basil Jam

makes 7 half-pints

5 C. Crushed Blackberries
1 C. Whole Basil Leaves
2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
2 1/4 C. Sugar
1 pkg. OR 3 Tbsp. Ball Low-Sugar Powdered Fruit Pectin
1/4 tsp. Butter or Margarine (to reduce foaming)

Prepare jars, and lids. Finely chop the basil leaves. Combine blackberries, basil, butter, and lemon juice in a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that can not be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly. Add entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Ladle hot jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight. Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Remove lid and let stand in canner for additional 5 minutes. Remove jars, cool, and store.

No comments:

Post a Comment