Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Dill Sandwich Slices

This recipe was taken from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, though I omitted the pickling spice and used white vinegar in place of cider vinegar. The cider vinegar will make a darker brine and darker pickles.

I planted FOURTEEN cucumber plants this year. What was I thinking?! I had intended to plant ten (which still probably would have been too many), but because of multiple plants in a few of the cucumber seedlings I purchased I ended up with more, and I just didn't have the heart to throw them away. So I planted the extra near my porch. Those four extra plants have crept their way up the trellis and are taking over. I must say though, I've learned something because of it - make use of whatever space you have! The idea to use our back porch trellis to grow food hadn't crossed my mind before trying to find a home for the little cukes. Next year (if we're still in this house) I plan on utilizing the space for green beans as well. That will clear up more garden space for non-climbing plants. Perhaps I'll try something new!


Dill Sandwich Slices

makes about 5 pints - makes plenty of brine for 8 pints if you have plenty cucumbers and spices available

3 Tbsp. Pickling Spice
4 C. Cider Vinegar or White Vinegar
4 C. Water
3/4 C. Granulated Sugar
1/2 C. Pickling or Canning Salt
5 Bay Leaves
5 Cloves Garlic
2 1/2 tsp. Mustard Seed
2 1/2 tsp. Dill Seed
13 1/2 C. Sliced Trimmed Pickling Cucumbers

Prepare jars, bands, and lids. Tie Pickling spice in a square of cheesecloth, creating a spice bag. Combine salt, vinegar, sugar, water, and spice bag in a large sauce pan. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and boil gently for 15 minutes. To each jar add 1/2 tsp. Dill Seed (or 1 Head of Dill), 1/2 tsp. Mustard Seed, 1 Garlic Clove, and one Bay Leaf. Pack cucumber slices into hot jars. Ladle hot pickling liquid into each jar, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles, add more pickling liquid if necessary, wipe rim of jar, and affix lid. Process jars for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit in canner for additional 5 minutes before removing. Cool, label and store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment