Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Summer Fresh Tomato Pie

Nothing better than a garden fresh tomato, eh? Believe it or not, I just came to realize this last summer. Ever since I can remember I've hated tomatoes. I stopped trying to like them sometime in my late childhood and have avoided them at all costs since. Last summer, something changed. Ever since I grew my very first tomato in my own garden, I fell in love. I incorporate them into dishes whenever I can. A tomato hanging on the vine, warmed by the afternoon sun, and ripened to juicy perfection. You can't beat that. 

This recipe is not my own and was taken from a favorite site of mine. I saw it and knew I just had to try it. Hands down, a new favorite in this household. It sorta reminded me of a pizza made with very fresh ingredients. Vine ripened tomatoes and garden fresh basil. Mmhmm. An excellent weeknight dinner for a warm summer night.  


Summer Fresh Tomato Pie

2 C. Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Sugar
2 sticks Butter
1/4 C. Ice Water
3 Large Ripe Tomatoes
Handful of Fresh Basil Leaves
2 C. Shredded Cheese of your choice (Mozzarella, Cheddar, Provolone, etc)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cherry Tomatoes and a Sprig of Basil to garnish, optional

Combine flour, salt, sugar and butter in food processor. Pulse until blended. Add ice water in slow steady stream pulsing just until dough holds together, about 30 seconds. Flatten dough into disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least one hour.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Roll out dough and pat onto bottom and sides of tart pan. Bake crust for five minutes, then remove from oven and reduce heat to 400 degrees.

Arrange tomato slices over crust, sprinkle with basil. Mix cheese and mayo in small bowl, salt and pepper to taste. Spread evenly over the tomatoes and basil. Bake pie 30 minutes or until top is browned and bubbly.  Remove from oven and garnish with sliced cherry tomatoes and a sprig of basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment