Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Garlic Dill Cucumber Spears

Bumper crop is a good term for the cucumbers in my garden this year, though that may not even cover it. I've been a cucumber pickling maniac the last few weeks. I pick armfuls of pickling cucumbers every other day. It's insane. A good insane, but insane none the less. I'm very grateful. After all, I planted a garden hoping to get a lot of good canning experience this summer and to stock my cabinets full of colorful jars of fruits and vegetables. 

I've made several batches of cucumber spears. I've tried a few different recipes I found in the Ball Book of Complete Home Preserving. None really did it for me as I'm not a fan of even slightly sweetened pickles and it seems most dill pickle recipes contain sugar. So I tried the recipe for the Dilly Beans I love so much. Bingo! This one is mine and my families favorite. Vinegar, salt, garlic, and dill - the basic ingredients necessary to make one heck of a tasty pickle to accompany your favorite sandwich. This afternoon I enjoyed them alongside a fresh-egg and avocado salad sandwich. A perfect lunch if ya ask me!

This same recipe can be used to make Garlic Dill Cucumber Sandwich Slices. Instead of spears, slice into 1/4 inch slices and pack tightly into jars.

Garlic Dill Cucumber Spears

makes 8 pints

8 lbs 4-6 inch Pickling Cucumbers, cut lengthwise into spears
4 C. White Vinegar
4 C. Water
4 T. Pickling Salt
8 Cloves Garlic
4 tsp. Dill Seed
32 Peppercorns
1 tsp. Pickle Crisp

Prepare jars, bands, and lids. Combine salt, vinegar, and water in a large sauce pan. Bring to boil. To each jar add 1/2 tsp. dill seed, 1 garlic clove (I split mine lengthwise to release more flavor), 4 whole peppercorns, and 1/8 tsp. of Pickle Crisp, then pack in cucumber spears. Ladle hot pickling liquid into each jar, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles, add more pickling liquid if necessary, wipe rim of jar, and affix lid. Process jars for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit in canner for additional 5 minutes before removing. Cool, label and store.

No comments:

Post a Comment