Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Apple Pie Jam

Warm apple pie. Yum. Though I must admit, I've never actually made apple pie. I've never made any kind of pie, really. I love apple pie, so I'm not really sure what the hold up is. Perhaps it's another one of those daunting tasks like canning seemed to be. I need to just dive in head first and make a pie! For now, this jam will more than suffice. Of all the jams I've made in the past few months (which has been a TON), this jam is my favorite so far. Stay posted though, I seem to have a new favorite every week. I can't help it, homemade jam is da bomb!

This recipe was adapted from the Mom's Apple Pie in a Jar in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. 



Apple Pie Jam

makes 5-6 half pints

6 C. Finely Chopped Apples
1 Lemon - grated zest and juice
1 1/3 C. Water
2 1/3 C. Sugar
1 T. Apple Pie Spice
1 pkg OR 3 Tbsp. Ball Low Sugar Powdered Pectin

Prepare canner, jars, and lids. In a large, deep stainless steel saucepan, combine apples, lemon zest, lemon juice, and water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until apples begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Whisk in pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that can not be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly. Add entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Ladle hot jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight. Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Turn off heat, remove lid and let stand in canner for additional 5 minutes. Remove jars, cool, and store.

No comments:

Post a Comment