Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Sweet Cider Apple Butter

In the middle of sewing a bag one afternoon, an unexpected vehicle pulled in the drive. It's my father-in-law. He hops out and starts stacking near-bursting bags onto the back porch. They're all full of apples. What a pleasant surprise! I dumped them all in a laundry basket for sorting, and stared in awe at their beauty.


Right away I knew where these apples and I were headed - apple butter city. I loved apple butter as a kid, and haven't had any in years. Where to turn? Where does the best apple butter recipe hide in waiting? In classic fashion, the Ball Book of Home Preservation didn't let me down. I've given away several jars of this apple butter and I've gotten RAVE reviews on it - some even saying its the best apple butter they've EVER had. That's a pretty big compliment for a novice canner if ya ask me. Of course, I was merely the vessel of the time tested awesomeness of my always spot on canning bible. 


It took me three days and a ton of elbow grease to get through all of those gorgeous apples. Thank heavens I had so many wonderful furry assistants! I ended up with thirty pints of apple butter, and a house, driveway, and yard that smelled of sweet, spiced, appley goodness. Uh, can you say awesome Christmas gifts? :)

Hope you enjoy it!


Sweet Cider Apple Butter

makes 10 half pints or 5 pints

6lbs apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
2 c. apple cider
3 c. granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. ground cloves

Combine apples and apple cider in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft, about 30 minutes. Transfer apple mixture to a food mill or a food processor fitted with a metal blade, working in batches, and purée just until a uniform texture is achieved. Do not liquefy. Measure 12 cups of apple purée. Combine apple purée, sugar, cinnamon, and cloves in a clean large stainless steel saucepan. Stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and holds its shape on a spoon (about 45 minutes).  Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside. Ladle hot butter into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight. Process jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn burner off, remove lid, and let sit in water bath for an additional 5 minutes. Remove, cool, label, and store.

No comments:

Post a Comment