Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Molasses Cookies, and a Great Book


This book. I have been waiting for this book for MONTHS. It's been torture. I finally received it last week via UPS, and immediately sat down with a cup of peppermint tea to submerse myself in it. I finished it the next day - it was that good. AND, the last few pages of the book are filled with some of her favorite recipes. I knew I just had to try one that day.

I've been an avid fan of Chickens in the Road since 2010. I discovered the site whilst researching homemade Christmas decorations. This woman has been the inspiration for the farm life I want to live. She pretty much rocks. She keeps cows, chickens, donkeys, horses, and goats. Her goats love her molasses cookies , as now do I! They are moist, chewy, and perfectly molasses-y. And dipped in milk? Fo-get about it!



Molasses Cookies

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup molasses
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 cups flour

Cream butter and sugar. Stir in eggs and molasses. Add soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Stir to combine. Stir in flour. Spoon dough onto waxed paper and roll into logs for slicing. Wrap and chill. Slice or form dough into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375-degrees for 10-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment