Monday, February 24, 2014

Lucky They Let Us Live Here

Sure, we pay all the bills, and do all the chores, but let's face it - it's really up to them whether we get to live here. The dogs, the cats, the goats, and especially the chickens, they KNOW they're in control. Today, they've decided to take over the front porch. They're chickens, and they do whatever the 'cluck' they want. Hens gone wild.


But if they know whats good for them, they'll stay out of the raspberry patch when there are actual berries in there. I've got plans for all of those raspberries, Clover! You better not eat them!

Speaking of homegrown food, there are broccoli seedlings in the greenhouse!

Remember The Quackshire Family? When it warms up, this will be their new playground. I'm dreaming of a warm summer day when we stroll outside to see six beautiful duckies floating peacefully on the pond. Hopefully one day, there will be babies following my babies. But I'm getting ahead of myself - for now, they're still covered in yellow fuzz, peeping up a storm, and making a mess in their brooder. 

My new wind chimes make beautiful music. No country home is complete without wind chimes.

The Sunday before last we cut down several trees to make posts for an enormous backyard dog-fence. On Saturday we buried the posts, and put up the fence (holy sore arms). Lucky for us we had experts on hand to oversee the project, and gobble up any unearthed worms.

Our fence! Its even more beautiful than I imagined. I'm so proud of what we made together - from cutting down trees, hauling logs from the woods up to the yard on our shoulders, to digging countless two-foot deep holes, and what do ya know? A fence! We used random scraps of wood for a make-shift door, so it's only temporary, but it works for the moment. I'm well aware that the logs won't last near as long as pressure treated lumber, but these posts were free, and I like free. I also love the look, its so rustic. The fence our goats are in right now was here when we bought the house, and it too was constructed with raw wood. It looks rather old, and is still very sturdy. If I couldn't be considered a homesteader before, I'm definitely one now!

Success!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome job guys..... fence looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jamie! We're not near as self sufficient as you guys yet, but we're making progress :)

    ReplyDelete