Thursday, January 16, 2014

Maple Oat Scones


A shipment came in from Amazon today: a foldaway dog playpen (aka my new chick brooder), two small dog crates, one wine making book, one cheese making book, and three preserving/cookbooks. I immediately sat down and started flipping through the preserving/cookbooks, making a list of all the things I wanted to can this coming summer. Then I came to this recipe. The picture made my mouth water like crazy, so I plopped the book down on the table, and set to work to create these tasty morsels. Right out of the oven, warm and crisp, I filled one with strawberry lavender jam.... and then I died.

Okay, obviously I didn't die, but my god was it amazing! Please make these scones. Make them now.

This recipe was adapted from Canning For A New Generation by Liana Krissoff. I halved everything in the original recipe except for the amount of eggs, because being a chicken keeper whose husband doesn't particularly like eggs, I have a ton to use up.


Maple Oat Scones
1 3/4 C. All Purpose Flour
1/2 C. Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 C. Old Fashioned Oats
1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
1 Tbsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 C. Butter (2 sticks)
1/4 C. Yogurt
1/4 C. Pure Maple Syrup
5 Large Eggs

Preheat the oven to 400° F. In a large bowl, combine the flours, oats, baking powder, sugar and salt. Using your fingertips, two knives held together, or a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the largest pieces are the size of peas.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, maple syrup, and 4 of the eggs. Pour the mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just incorporated; do not over mix. The dough will be somewhat sticky.

Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface. Flour your hands, then pat the dough out to ¾” to 1″ inch thick. Cut into 2 ½” inch rounds (I used a wide-mouth pint canning jar ring) and place on the greased baking sheets. Gather up leftover dough, handling it as little as possible, and pat it out to cut more rounds. If the kitchen is warm, put the baking sheets in the fridge for 30 minutes or so to firm up, so they don’t spread too much in the oven.

In a small bowl whisk the remaining egg and brush on top of the scones. Sprinkle with oats. Bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating and switching the pans halfway through, until deep golden brown. Remove to wire racks.

Serve warm, with a large dollop of jam in the center. Enjoy

Makes 10 scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment