Friday, May 3, 2013

Dilled Carrots

Really, these should be called zesty dilled carrots. If you're not a fan of 'spicy' stuff, don't let that keep you from making these! I was hesitant at first, as I had  never even heard of pickled carrots.. My recent carrot inheritance inspired me to seek out creative alternatives to keep from wasting anything. I hate to let a good vegetable go to waste. As it turns out, pickled carrots are da bomb! My husband, sister, and mother-in-law loved these tasty little snacks - and those are just the people I've given them to. I'm sure my dad is going to flip out over them as well. Make them, they're great!


Dilled Carrots

makes 8 pints

6 c. white vinegar
2 c. water
1/2 c. canning salt
16 flower heads of dill OR 4 tsp. dill seed
4 cloves of garlic, halved (I doubled this and put a whole clove in each jar)
4 tsp. hot pepper flakes (optional)
5 lbs of carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch wide sticks

Prepare jars and lids. In a large saucepan, combine vinegar, water, and salt. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve salt. Maintain brine at a gentle boil. Place 1/2 clove (or 1 whole clove) of garlic, 1 head of dill or 1/2 tsp. dill seed, and 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes into jar. Pack carrot sticks with a generous 1/2 inch headspace. If using heads of dill, top with an additional head. Ladle hot brine into jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove any air bubbles, wipe rim, and affix hot lid. Screw bands down to fingertip tightness. Place jars in the canner, and process for 10 minutes. Remove lid and let jars sit in canner for an additional 5 minutes. Remove, cool, and store.

No comments:

Post a Comment