Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Fresh Watermelon Lime Sorbet

It's warm today, like in the 90's warm, and it's only the middle of May. Like most people I look forward to the summer and all the activities that go along with it - but I don't look forward to the so-hot-you-think-you-might-die heat. There is a bit of relief to be sought from the warmer months in the form of air conditioning and frosty treats. Our new ice cream maker will come in super handy with the latter. Earlier in the month, I made Strawberry Lemon Ice Cream with leftover strawberries from my Strawberry Jam making soiree. The only attendees were my husband, our dogs, and cat. Mostly, everyone else just slept the entire time I was making jam. Okay, not much of a soiree but I'm still calling it that. I like that word. Soiree. 

Anywho, we've recently developed an obsession with watermelon, not only buying four watermelons in the last two weeks and devouring them, but also tilling up an additional 14' x 14' chunk of earth for a watermelon patch. What better way to cool off on a warm streak than a fresh sorbet? Not many that I can think of. Unless of course someone wants to come over and install a swimming pool for us. Seriously, I'll even give you some sorbet!



Fresh Watermelon Lime Sorbet

3/4 of a Large Watermelon, cut into chunks and de-seeded
1 c. Sugar
1 c. Water
Juice of 3 Limes

In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water over medium heat. Stir until dissolved. Combine watermelon, lime juice, and simple syrup in a blender (it will take a few batches) until liquefied. Freeze in ice cream maker per instructions. Mine took about 30 minutes to create a soft-serve consistency. Enjoy by itself or even combine with your favorite wine for a refreshing sangria! 

No comments:

Post a Comment