Saturday, May 4, 2013

Fresh Strawberry Jam

As I was shopping for a few ingredients for my carrot cake jam, I discovered beautiful strawberries on sale for $0.99 a pound! Though we put a strawberry patch in, it doesn't look like we'll get many berries this year - thanks to the birds, and the lord of the strawberry patch. Not about to pass those gorgeous berries up, I grabbed four pounds, knowing that I could use them for something. Right away, I had strawberry jam in mind. That particular day, I was heading home to teach myself how to can. Perfect. As someone that had only ever experience store-bought strawberry jam before this endeavor... OH MY. Never have I eaten jam with my finger a spoon straight from the jar, until tonight. Don't judge me until you make it. Only then will you understand the power of fresh strawberry jam. Low sugar jam is the only way I'll make jam for the rest of my life. Instead of tasting pure sugar with a strawberry embellishment, you taste fruit. It's Spring/Summer in a jar. 

 

Fresh Strawberry Jam

makes 7 half-pint jars

5 c. Crushed Fresh Strawberries
1 pkg (OR 3 Tbsp.) Ball Low Sugar Pectin
2 1/4 c. Sugar
4 Tbsp. Lemon Juice

Prepare jars, and lids. Combine strawberries and lemon juice in a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that can not be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly. Add entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary. Ladle hot jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight. Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Remove lid and let stand in canner for additional 5 minutes. Remove jars, cool, and store.

No comments:

Post a Comment