Thursday, December 26, 2013

Lemon Cupcakes with Blackberry Basil Buttercream

Today is my husbands birthday! The young pup is finally catching up with me. The big 2-6. I'm only 26 myself, but I'm four months older than he is. It's not much of an age difference but sometimes it feels like fifteen years. I'd like to think I'm an old soul. Oh to just be turning 26 again...

Unfortunately he had to work today, but fortunately for him, that gives me plenty of time to make his favorite treats. He'll be ecstatic to come home to pizza and lemon cupcakes. Heck, I'm excited to have pizza and lemon cupcakes!


Lemon Cupcakes with Blackberry Basil Buttercream

3 C. All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
1 C. Sweet Cream Butter, room temp
2 C. Sugar
4 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Zest of Two Lemons
1 C. Whole Milk
Juice of One Lemon

Frosting:
1 C. Sweet Cream Butter
4 C. Powdered Sugar
2 Tbsp. Whole Milk
1/2 C. Blackberry Basil Jam or Blackberry Jam with 2 Tbsp. Chopped Fresh Basil

Preheat oven to 375 F. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. In a medium bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside. To the butter/sugar mixture, add eggs, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Mix briefly to combine. Add in the milk, and flour mixture. Mix only until combined - do not over mix. Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake for 15 -17 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool completely. Makes roughly 20 cupcakes.

Once cupcakes are completely cool, cream together butter, powdered sugar, jam, and milk. Now frost those babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment